Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tuesday Night Worlds "Race" Report

I had a fun ride last night out at the Tuesday Night World Championships, the local group ride here in Huntsville. I was ready to put in a hard effort so right from the start me and another guy took off and stayed away for about 40 minutes before a strong headwind foiled our chances of making it to the finish alone. Naturally after we were caught the pack slowed down for a bit before the attacks began again in earnest. Nothing really stuck until about 1h15min into the ride when a group of 5 of us got away. Although there were only three of us really doing any work, we hammered pretty hard and I was starting to hurt. We kept the fast pace up until we were within a few miles to go at which point everyone started playing the "cat and mouse" games in order to win the spint. I was feeling pretty tired and knew I wouldnt be able to put up much fight so I took a couple more hard pulls to get us to the finish a bit quicker. Eventually the final acceleration came about 300m from the finish but I was shot and had little response. I went as hard as I could but three of the four others easily rode away from me.

While I didnt have any kind of a sprint at the end, I didnt mind because I'm pretty sure I inflicted enough pain throughout the ride. Now while I certainly wasnt riding with the calibur of riders The Professor, it was still nice to be dishing out the hurt while on a bike as opposed to the other way around...

1 comment:

Matt Calarco said...

Good to see you dishing out some pain! Btw, if you do decide to lay down a serious sprint on one of those rides, pass the numbers along to me, as I'd be interested to see them.

I have a feeling that Almere bike leg is gonna be very solid . . .