Friday, January 25, 2008

Last night I went to see Spirit of the Marathon with the crew from Fleet Feet. The movie followed a couple of elites as well as a few "weekend warriors" who were training for the 2005 Chicago Marathon. Overall the movie was good but not great, especially since I paid $12 to see it.

One of the highlights was hearing from Deena Kastor, especially when she gave specific workouts she had just completed (7mi tempo run @ 5:32 pace @7000ft). It was also cool to hear about her training when she is injured. Unlike most of the rest of us, she has an underwater treadmill which she gets to use when she is hurt. Having one of those would beat the heck out of aqua jogging. There was also some cool information about the history of the marathon along with interviews from Frack Shorter, Joe Henderson, Joan Benoit Samuelson, Paula Radcliff, and others. Overall I'd recommend watching this if you are on the fence about whether or not to do a marathon or if you have one coming up as it will definitely get you pumped.

The movie also got me thinking about doing a marathon and while it is something I'd like to eventually do, I feel like if I was going to run one I'd have to train properly for it. That would mean cutting back big time on the swimming and biking and bumping up the run volume but that wont happen any time soon because I have some other goals on the triathlon front I'd like to accomplish first.

No comments: