Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Aug10-16

S: 25,200 yds
B: 10h 21min
R: 4h 20min

Total: 21h 19min

Swimming last week was, in a word, awful. I was down at the Gaylord National for the DOD Corrosion Conference (fun stuff, I know...) and initially I was looking forward to being able to get in some decent pool time. Before the trip I looked into the pool situation and noticed, according to the hotel's website that one of the amenities was a "Junior Olympic-sized 24-meter lap pool." That sounded pretty awesome and I was looking forward to the fact that I could just head straight down from my room rather than having to drive somewhere and hope Swimmersguide.com was up to date. Well, the pool was there as promised but I think my definition of "lap pool" may be a little different than the Gaylord National's.

The pool was indeed 24m long (or at least as far as I could tell) but it was also only 3.5 feet deep and not exactly optimized for lap swimming. First of all, it lacked gutters and lane ropes making the water choppy at best. It was also missing lane lines but contained plenty of chlorine, making it very difficult to determine where the wall was for a flip turn. The part of course were the days when there were kids in the pool at the same time and I was left wondering whether or not they would decide to walk out in front of me while I was trying to get in a workout. Ahh... the joys of working and training.

In the end, this really just makes me appreciate the Nat that much more.

No comments: